In starting a new year, many people make resolutions to get in better shape, eat better and generally become healthier. While we’re all for those fitness resolutions (and have made a few ourselves), we find it funny people that people will go out of their way to become healthy in the New Year yet neglect their oral health.
We can’t deny the reality that a large number of our clients don’t look forward to visits to a dental specialist. Whether it’s past trauma, anticipating pain or discomfort, the idea of someone poking around their mouths, or one too many dentist-themed horror movie (yes, there are some) many people will procrastinate and put off a regular teeth cleaning and checkup appointments.
Yet it’s essential to your overall physical health to visit the dentist regularly. Aside from that, a beautiful, sparkling smile can help build your confidence, which will spill over into almost every other aspect of your life. Dr. Robert Eng Chin, DDS and his team believe dental health should be an integral part of your general wellness. Still not convinced that regular visits to the dentist are crucial for an overall healthy life and wellbeing? We’ve rounded up five reasons why scheduling a dentist appointment regularly should be a part of you 2016 New Year Resolutions:
- Avoid Gum Disease – Among the leading causes of tooth loss in adults is gum disease. The early stages of the disease is known as gingivitis, and if caught early on, it can be clinically treated and even reversed. If you’re not seeing a dentist regularly (or semi-annually, as recommended), the gum disease can go undiagnosed or unnoticed, leading to a more serious issue called periodontitis. If gingivitis is detected, Dr. Chin will work with you to get your gums back on track with a regime of standard dental cleaning, proper brushing instruction, daily flossing and possibly a few other totally doable care techniques.
- Prevent Oral Cancer – In the United States alone, somebody dies from oral cancer every hour, as reported by The Oral Cancer Foundation. During each dental examination, Dr. Chin checks for dental issues such as oral tumors or signs of oral cancer. In the off chance that he finds something, if it’s caught early enough, it can be treated.
- Keep All Your Teeth – Going hand-in-hand with catching and treating gingivitis before it become a full-blown problem, regular dental visits can prevent other causes of tooth decay and loss. Not only that, cleanings and checkups will keep you smile and teeth healthy and sparkling.
- Prevent Dental Emergencies – General checkups can actually prevent many of the painful tooth issues many of our clients dread. For instance, Dr. Chin can detect a cavity formation and recommend preventative measures (which, if taken, can prevent and reverse its development) before it becomes a full-blown, painful problem. Gum disease, broken fillings and depressions can normally be dealt with effortlessly by using minimally invasive techniques if caught early on (as opposed to becoming painful, and eliciting expensive procedures later).
- Keep up Good General Health – Gum disease isn’t just associated with terrible breath and dry mouth, it can also lead to several serious medical conditions such as heart disease, osteoporosis, and diabetes, among others. Consistent visits to an experienced dental specialist like Dr. Chin will keep your oral health and overall wellbeing under control.
Ready to make your “get healthy” resolution really stick and take care of your complete health? Contact Dr. Chin to schedule a dental appointment in San Diego by calling (858) 292-7655 or visiting SmileHQ.com today.